The Liebster Award
Wow, thank you Martha at HomeThoughtsFromAbroad626, who has nominated me for the Liebster Award. It is an award for bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers and it helps to highlight and promote new blogs. I really appreciate knowing that people are enjoying reading PGA. The most important thing about making food is making people smile.
The award is a “pay-it-forward” thing as you must complete these requirements:
1. Post the award on my blog.
2. Thank the blogger who gave me the award and link back to her site.
3. Post 11 random facts about myself.
4. Answer 11 questions that the presenter of the award has asked.
5. Nominate 11 new bloggers with fewer than 200 followers who I want to pass the award on to.
6. Ask my nominees 11 questions of my own.
Obviously, this award is all about 11′s!
ELEVEN RANDOM FACTS ABOUT MYSELF
1. I am a nerd. I love maths and astrophysics.
2. My entire repertoire of recipes before I started this blog was chicken stir fry, chilli con carne, spaghetti bolognese and a cheese omelette.
3. I have been in a plane crash landing.
4. I used to play the piano rather well, even went to university to study music, but I haven’t played it since (that’s 15 years now!).
5. In September, I start studying part time for a Modern Languages degree in French.
6. That’s because I hope to go and settle in France with my boyfriend some day.
7. My wardrobe is coded by garment and then colour, but I still don’t know what to wear in the mornings.
8. I was vegetarian for 20 years.
9. I hate cauliflower and brussel sprouts with such rage as you have never witnessed towards food. One Christmas Day, when I was about 7, I wasn’t allowed away from the dining table until I had finished my brussel sprouts. So I sat there until it was dark, refusing to eat them. I hated them so much that I spent half of a childhood Christmas Day making a point about how revolting they are.
10. Do not tickle me. I am so ticklish that I will scream as soon as you come near me. Then I’ll be so perplexed that you tried anyway, that I will cause you bodily harm.
11. I don’t trust fruit.
ELEVEN BLOGS I NOMINATE: each blog has less than 200 followers, and hopefully this award will help promote more followers
3. Laura’s Mess
5. Lovely Buns
9. Paris Natch
11. Ditsy Kitchen
Seriously, check them all out, they’re all fandabbydozy and deserve lots of new followers.
ANSWERS TO ELEVEN QUESTIONS
1. What is your favourite book?
Now that cooking seems to have taken over my life, it is probably ‘The Little Paris Kitchen’ by Rachel Khoo. It is visually sumptuous, I love to spot places I know in Paris, there is passion on every page, and the recipes have me drooling.
2. What person influenced you most when you were growing up?
I would have to split this between my mother and my father. My mother because it wasn’t easy bringing a precocious teenager like me up with my father away from home so much, it was hard work and emotionally stretching. My father, because he always encouraged me to open my mind to everything, instilled in me the importance of learning, and reminded me when things got tough “nil illiegitimi carborundum” (don’t let the bastards grind you down).
3. If you could travel the world, where would you go first?
India or the Amazon. One day I will be able to save up enough money for a mammoth trip to both.
4. What is your dream car?
I am a proper Londoner, and that means I never learned to drive and have no intention of doing so!
5. What are three things on your bucket list that you hope to do soon?
I hope it won’t be necessary to do my bucket list any time soon, but the 3 things would be the trip to India, the trip to the Amazon, and to complete a triathlon (even if it’s just a mini one!).
6. Which was your most memorable birthday?
Funnily enough, I often find that my birthdays provide only the haziest of memories. Ahem. One that comes to mind today, is one in my early twenties where I hired out a room above The Enterprise pub in Camden Town and carnage ensued. You have to have at least one of those birthdays at some point.
7. What was your favourite year and why?
2011. In fact I can boil it down to just one week, during which I started my current job and met my boyfriend for the first time. Both have changed my life and made me immeasurably happier.
8. Who is your favourite singer or musician?
Totally changes with my mood – I have a diverse range of tastes. It could be Nina Simone, Joan Jett, David Bowie, Matt Bellamy (of Muse), Prince or Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs (AKA Orlando Higginbottom). Quite a few ground-breakers in there.
9. What did you do for the Millenium New Year’s Eve 1999/2000?
I hosted a party in my flat in Camden Town. But thanks to a chest infection, I had pulled muscles around both lungs and was knocked out on strong painkillers. So I was in the bedroom, the party was in the living room, and I made it into the living room for all of 2 minutes at midnight for a sip of champagne with my friends before going back to bed. Not exactly party of the century!
10. What is your greatest accomplishment?
Managing to make it to 35 years old without doing something so stupid it killed me.
11. Of what are you the most proud?
My boyfriend. Clever, talented, kind, loving, brave and strong. He came to a country where he barely knew anyone and made a life for himself; career, friends and a relationship.
ELEVEN QUESTIONS FOR THE BLOGS I NOMINATED
1. Explain your blog name.
2. Why did you start your blog?
3. Is there anything you would never eat?
4. What are you most frightened of?
5. If you were given the chance to go for free, would you go into space?
6. Cats or dogs?
7. If you could time travel to any point in history, where would you go?
8. What trivial thing gets disproportionately on your nerves?
9. Where’s your favourite place on Earth (whether it’s Florence or just your own bath)?
10. If you had 1 minute to live and 1 phone call you could make, who would you call?
11. What’s your key to happiness?
Go forth and spread the love!
Thank you again to Martha; knowing that my blog puts a smile on anyone’s face gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over.